Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Movies that don't suck: The Wizard (1989)



This is a long lost flick which not a lot of people remember (Or at least that I know of). As a young lad I didn't see the movie until it came out on VHS (this is before DVDs people) in 1990.
I remember watching this movie and saying to myself... sheesh I wish I could be like that kid. With that kid being Jimmy (Luke Edwards). The movie is A Beautiful Mind meets Nintendo. In the movie Jimmy is retarded (mentally challenged). He doesn't speak but yet he is the man at any and all video games... especially Nintendo.

If that's not freaking awesome enough, Jimmy also has two half-brothers: Fred Savage as Corey and Christian Slater as Nick. That's about as cool as having a third nipple.

The villain in this flick is Lucas Barton (Jackey Vinson)... and trust me I had a personal vendetta against this ass****. Not only was this kid awesomely good at video games but he also had the almighty Nintendo Power Glove!

F.Y.I: I remember asking "Santa Clause" for a Power Glove... and I never got it. I don't even think that dissapointment is even the word.

When Jimmy and his cohorts hear about a video game tournament offering a cash prize of $50,000 they hitchhike to Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida, so that he could participate in the Nintendo World Video Game Championships.

The particular parts that I loved most about the movie is the video games that are shown throughout the movie.

- Rad Racer
- Ninja Gaiden

Last but not least it's Super Mario Bros. 3, what's interesting is that the game is shown for the very first time in the movie. The game was already released in Japan but it was yet to be seen in the U.S.

I don't want to ruin the rest of the movie... but if you're The Wizard then I don't think there's nothing stopping you.

If you love Nintendo then you'll love The Wizard.

[Photo courtesy of Wikimedia.com]

No comments: