Monday, April 6, 2009

A New Beginning: 2009 NY Mets



I'm a NY Mets fan... I know:

- We collapsed in 2007.

- We collapsed in 2008.

Being a Mets fan is similar to watching Tales from the Crypt... it's corny, cheesy and not scary but funny. Yet you're still strangely amused.

I've been a Metropolitans fan through the best of times (1999, 2000, 2006) and through the worst of times (1993-1998, 2001-2005).

Growing up I was always intrigued by Mets... especially at the height of their terribleness. The Worst Team Money Could Buy is a moniker that will NEVER be forgotten. Just look at these notable names:

Eddie Murray
Bobby Bonilla
Jeff Kent
Todd Hundley
Joe Orsulak
Jeremy Burnitz
Howard Johnson
Vince Coleman
Tony Fernandez
Dwight Gooden
Bret Saberhagen
Butch Huskey
Sid Fernandez

I haven't seen an eclectic group of individuals such as these since I watched Hanna-Barbera's Wacky Races when I was younger. These Mets ended up losing a whopping 103 games.

The reason why I bring this putrid situation up is to show that I've experienced far worse than two stupendous collapses.

This year I see things differently... and after seeing the Mets defeat the Cincinatti Reds 2-1 I know that there will be better days for the Mets. This is definitely a good start though.

From top to bottom our roster has plenty of good players who should help make something special out of this year. Now that the team has their 1st win all they could do is build on this momentum and just keep it going.

The only way to make all of the haters have a big cup of shut the f*** up is by simply doing what's best... winning. Let's go Mets!

[Photo courtesy of Newsday]

No comments: