Monday, April 6, 2009

Hoop Heroes: Bimbo Coles




In life there's no game that's as much fun as naming random NBA players which only real sports fans will actually recall. The NBA goes through players both new and old about as often as Marv Albert loves saying the phrase, YES! These true NBA greats never get the proper love they so rightfully deserve... no need to worry though that's why I'm here to make sure that nobody forgets these hoop heroes.

For my 1st installment I thought I would show a little love to a man who's name I found very amusing since the first time I saw him throughout my collection of NBA trading cards when I was a young lad.

Ladies and gentlemen... allow me to reintroduce Vernell Eufaye Coles aka. Bimbo Coles #12.

As a guard, Coles played college ball for the Virginia Tech Hokies. He was selected in the second round by the Sacramento Kings in the 1990 NBA Draft... and he would end up having his draft rights traded the very same night to the Miami Heat for veteran guard Rory Sparrow.

One notable career highlight: He would end up being traded along with Kevin Willis to the Golden State Warriors for Tim Hardaway and Chris Gatling.

Let's take a look at this man's incredible career averages:

Career games: 852
Games started: 354
PPG: 7.8
APG: 3.9
RPG: 2.10

Fun Fact: Coles was a high school outfielder selected by the California Angels in the 53rd round of the June 1990 Major League Baseball Draft.

Bimbo... the legacy of your name will always live on!

[Photo courtesy of bestsportsphotos.com]

No comments: